If this is your first time filing for Social Security disability benefits, or SSD, then you likely have a lot of questions. Lucky for you, Aiello Law Group has all the answers! Are you asking yourself, what questions should you ask before hiring an SSD lawyer?
- How Much Do SSD Lawyers Typically Charge For Their Assistance? If you’re already strapped for cash due to your disability that you need to apply for formal financial assistance, chances are you don’t have a lot of spare change to spend on a good lawyer. Thankfully though, it doesn’t cost as much as you’d think. SSD lawyers are paid using a predetermined percentage of awarded SSD benefits. The standard amount usually equates to approximately 25% of all past-due benefits, with an SSA cap of $6,000 enforced to prevent overcharging. A lot of the time though, your SSD lawyer will take their payment straight from the SSA so you don’t have to think about it.
- How Frequently Do You Meet Up With Clients? Before you choose your lawyer, you should take some time to really think about how involved in your case you even want to be. If you want to be hands off, and just worry about when your first check will arrive, you might not even want your lawyer to bother you with constant updates. On the other hand, if you do want to know what’s going on at every turn, you’ll want to make sure you hire lawyers that have enough time to dedicate to you. Either way, communication is key if you want to make sure your expectations are met.
- How Much Experience With SSD Claims Do You Have? Hundreds of thousands of claims are submitted for SSD consideration every year, which means if you want to make sure yours makes it though you need to hire lawyers that have a long history of approvals. It’s just too risky any other way! Fortunately, our SSD lawyers at Aiello Law Group have more than 150 years worth of combined experience successfully satisfying SSD claimants to share!
- Have Your Worked With Clients Like Me Before? Once you’ve determined the overall level of experience your prospective SSD lawyer has with SSD claims in general, don’t be afraid to dig deeper. Do they have experience helping clients with your unique medical conditions/history? Do they even understand how your condition affects your life and wellness as whole enough to explain your daily struggles to a judge? Above all else, you have to make sure your lawyer understands you. It’s the only way they will know what you really need.
- How Do You Like To Handle Your SSD Claims? Since every SSD lawyer uses their own unique approaches with every case, it’s important you understand how your lawyer is going to handle your claims before you start the process. Only then will you know for sure if the relationship will be a good match, and whether or not your lawyer is capable of adjusting strategies to meet your specific needs.
- Do You Handle Appeals Too? With up to 70% of claims for SSD denied, it’s crucial you choose lawyers that are ready to stick by you through till the end, even if you get denied again and again. So make sure to always ask if appeal assistance is included in your support. Better safe than sorry!
- What Can I Do To Strengthen My SSD Claim? With your approval at the mercy of the SSA, it doesn’t hurt to take some time to go over so dos and don’ts for keeping your chances of approval high. Your lawyer might ask you to procure certain documents, adhere to your recommended treatment and appointment schedules, avoid certain activities, or seek supplementary wellness support. Just have faith, and follow the advice.
- How Do You Prepare For A Hearing? Hearings are often the most stressful points along the process to approval, but they definitely don’t have to be. By simply asking enough questions about your lawyers preparation methods, and what will be expected of you leading up to the big day, you can get a better idea of exactly how things are going to go. A reputable lawyer, like ours, will always have answers for you, and be happy to meet up to explain then anytime, so you’re confidence never wavers.
- What’s The Easiest Way To Get In Touch? It’s no secret that SSD lawyers are busy, and have multiple clients to tend to at any given time, which means knowing the best way to reach them in advance can save you a lot of time and frustration later on. After all, it’s a waste to spend time constantly calling an office when your lawyer responds best to emails.
- Do I Qualify For Anything Else? If you have really good SSD lawyers, like ours at Aiello Law Group, they will already be working hard to make sure you’re awarded everything you’re eligible for – but don’t be afraid to ask either. You have every right to understand your benefits, and why you’re entitled for some but not others. Who knows, the conversation may even spark an idea from your lawyer that results in more money for you!
Ready to file your SSD claim? Get all your SSD questions answered by our reputable Social Security disability lawyers at Aiello Law Group today! Call us, today, at 313.964.4900 or fill out the form in the sidebar or on our contact page, and learn more about how we can help you.